Why Engineers Need To Ask For More Money

Submitted by "Anonymous Coward"
Decades ago, my father worked for a large IT company.  During this time a sole engineer was responsible for inventing a device that made them countless millions of dollars.

One day, as my father recounts, they held a large company meeting with all the staff where this engineer was located.  They honored him for his ingenuity in front of hundreds of people, and gave him a check for...
http://solution-engineering.blogspot.com/2017/06/why-engineers-need-to-ask-for-more-money.html

If I were that engineer I would have immediately held a meeting with my boss and said add a couple zeros or give me a 50% raise or I quit immediately.  Inevitably, I wouldn't get anything but the opportunity to start yelling at my manager and be thrown out.

You may be thinking, "well, this is unwise."  Perhaps, but maybe my approach minus the yelling is something we as engineers need to start testing the boundaries of; especially software engineers of today.  I have worked for many companies over the years as a software engineer and the more of a jerk I've become, the more I've gotten.  Let me repeat, the more of a jerk I've become the more respect, admiration, ears, and MONEY I've gotten. 

Let me define jerk: speak your mind as an ethical engineer and tout your accomplishments.  Remind management of your worth in quantifiable ways.  

"Well, I should do it nicely with tact and privately right?"  It doesn't matter just do it.  Practice makes perfect.

"Like lions, they simply see weakness" 

Remember, when I said business is business?  It is.  However, the software engineering community is so nice and friendly (which I love) they forget that everyone else is out for money not the passion of writing elegant code.  They (your management) don't understand why you would not fervently pursue raises and promotions.  Like lions, they simply see weakness not a sincere hard-worker.  Therefore, they treat you like a worker bee, like a McDonald's employee.  You flip burgers really well and fast?  Oh gee golly you are so great!  Here's 10 cents!

When I'm looking for senior software positions I'm treated like a goldfish not a prized platinum arowana (worth $400k).  See, a goldfish gets a bowl and some food, and is expected to just sit there and eventually die and be replaced.  The platinum arowana gets constant attention on many levels.  It is pursued and revered. 

Similarly, a senior software engineer is usually pursued carelessly through second and third party contracts.  There is rarely signing bonuses, they expect the applicant to pay to fly to interviews.  Relocation fee?  Nah, we'll just find a sub-par local "developer".
However, even middle management is granted many of these benefits regularly.  Why?  There is a scarcity of qualified engineers, but no scarcity of qualified managers.  Many, people can be managers, while few people on earth have the skills and talent of senior engineers.  


"It has to do with your hustle, baby!"  

Why?  I'll tell you why, because management types know how to be jerks.  What I mean is they understand that the amount of money you make has little to do with what you can do or how hard you work!!!  It has to do with your hustle, baby!  

The long and short of it: you engineers need to start understanding you're in the business of making money.  You're not?  Then work for free you liar!

Practicals:

"I was a jerk and I got more money."
  • When a recruiter calls you, you need a minimum salary in your head.  Then, you need to stick with it don't lower it.  I've gone so far as start to raise my minimum while on the phone as they try to talk me down.  

Me:" My minimum is $90/hour."
Them: "How about $60/hour?"  
Me: "How about $91/hour?" 
Guess what?  I was a jerk and I got more money.
  • Never directly answer, "What was your previous/current salary?'  unless that's the salary you still want.  Don't lie, just answer, "I'm looking for $200k per year."  Then, they'll say, "woah..." and reveal their maximum.  Then, you say, "oh well, I guess if it's a good fit."
  • Be bold, strong, aggressive, and then SUPER NICE.  "This is what I want!", "I'm awesome!", "Hey, I'm so excited about our talk.  You are a pleasure to talk to.  Thanks for reaching out to me.  May I kiss your butt at some point in the future?"  (Paraphrased of course.)
Then, of course be confident and prepared, but that goes without saying.  Remember, you'll never get a large raise from your current employer.  JP Morgan Chase leadership once told us, "You want a 20% raise?  Quit, work for Huntington for 2 years, then come back."  No, really, they literally said that is the only way it will happen!

"I don't know his name."

Lastly, I want to remind you of the history of McDonald's.  An engineer (very smart, good, and nice), invented McDonald's.  Ray Kroc, a hustler, stumbled upon the invention, for all intents and purposes was a jerk about it, and became super rich and got all of the glory.  I know Ray's name off the top of my head, but that engineer (who was just super smart and nice)...  I don't know his name.


P.S Who should've been the famous one: Dennis Ritchie or Steve Jobs, Nikola Tesla or Thomas Edison (See this book)?  The correlation of jerk and money is strong.



Recommended: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"That Could Get Me Fired"

Top 10 WORST Ways to Hire Software Engineers