"That Could Get Me Fired"

Submitted by "Anonymous Coward"

So, it is time for my annual performance review.  After walking for 10 mins to find an open conference room, we finally get a room with a wall of windows.  We sit down.  My boss starts the meeting noticing an Indian employee picking his nose and he points it out to me.  Then, he says, "I hate Indians..."

I think I gave him the same look Jim from The Office gives frequently...


Noticing my discomfort he says, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have said that.  That could get me fired."

Now, what am I supposed to say?  This is the same guy who has been rumored to have been fired once for punching a delivery guy.  There are no witnesses and we are in a meeting deciding my bonus.  This is an offense committed with impunity.  I did however realize that I must have gained incredible trust with this racist in order for him to just freely vent like this.  Yay? 😒

The rest of the meeting is basically me B.S.'ing about my future goals at the company while just pretending the whole thing never happened.

   
Some anonymous coward eventually called HR on this guy and he was fired for something that had multiple witnesses.  Okay it was me, I was then blackballed, and then I quit.

"Did I hate him?  No."

In the end it was a pyrrhic victory.  Did I want him to be fired?  Did I hate him?  No.  However, at some point don't I have to do "the right thing"?  No wonder almost no one calls HR.  Unless you actually care, it's just suicide if the offender is even somewhat connected.

I think if you want to call HR about a similar situation you should end the call with: "Oh, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have said that.  That could get me fired."

My taillights were broken shortly after.  Should I call HR and see if they will help me?






   

Comments

  1. People should learn to deal with and even embrace awkward situations. They're everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Engineers Need To Ask For More Money

Top 10 WORST Ways to Hire Software Engineers